Monday, May 7, 2007

Hard Workin' Man

A few weeks ago my mom asked what Hunter needed for his birthday. I hadn't really thought about it. I thought out loud, mentioning summer clothes, pajamas, nothing really. If you've been paying attention, and have a pulse, you know my kids are way spoiled. Don't think I don't know. I promise to teach them the value of hard work, and charity, too. But for now, they are cautiously spoiled. I'm okay with it. As I listed the "nothings" Hunter may need, Grandma, without missing a beat, says, "How bout' a swingset?" Really? Okay! I'm game.

The hunt began for a nice sturdy set with a swing, slide, and decent playdeck. This monster is what we ended up with. I am so excited for the boys.


Despite the fact that Theo only has one day off for the next 12 days, he spent 85% of yesterday working on this huge swingset, or "clubhouse," as Ben decided he'd call it. If the weather cooperates, the set will be complete with a slide, two swings, sandbox underneath, and a steering wheel in the clubhouse by this weekend. Ben loves tools, and helped Dad with enthusiasm.


Ben fetched all his toys from the patio box, and put them inside his clubhouse. We think he assumed it would stay in this position! LOL. It was cool to him, no matter the shape!

I entertained Hunter between helping Theo position certain pieces. Hunter showed off his new climbing skills.



Thanks, Theo, for working so hard! I have to say I am so impressed with Theo right now. Working with his hands, building, repairing, that sort of thing is not his favorite way to spend time. Many a furniture piece and toy has been assembled with curse words spewing, and frustration flying. Normally he'll spend hours ranting about poorly written directions and we make multiple trips to the hardware store b/c of broken pieces, and items that are the incorrect size. This time, Theo hummed along to Willie Nelson in the garage, smiled when we checked in on him, and when the long night (he was outside until 8:30pm ) was through he stood beside his creation and said how proud he is what he built. I am proud, too.
Here is what the clubhouse looked like this morning: Cool!


No comments: