Monday, March 19, 2007

Sushi Bliss

Can you hear it? Its the sound of my satisfied tummy, full of goodness. The highlight of our weekend was an actual lunch in a restaurant! A sushi place, at that! We left the house to go on an adventure. I wanted to walk around any old antique mall, and Theo wanted to just get out. We found ourselves in Whitewater, a college town to the east of us. I have been there for many speech tournaments in college, and as a family we've driven there a time or two. I found an antique store that was open, and I bought some vintage wooden blocks that spell the boys' names. $3 and I have a craft project waiting for me (more to come on that soon, I'm sure). Anyhoot. We walked down the road an found a Japanese place. I love sushi. It is perhaps my favorite food that I don't yet make myself. As you can imagine, there are not many Japanese restaurants in Wisconsin. I thought this could be an early birthday present for me.
I could not eat raw fish when I was pregnant, which I've been 17 months out of the last 3.5 years. And when Theo was deployed I didn't go to restaurants. It's been a long while since I've had sushi. I had it once after Ben was born, at a Benihana-type place in Madison. If I lived in So Cal still I'd have sushi weekly at minimum. Yesterday I stuck to California Rolls because this restaurant was new to me, and I was apprehensive to trust raw fish prep to just anyone. I was very satisified with the meal, and will return for more elaborate sushi soon.
Theo got Shrimp Tempura and he loved it, also. He ate a few of Ben's Crab Rangoon, and said the dipping sauce was the best Rangoon he'd ever had. It was tangy, mayo based? It was good. I'm no food critic, I just like to eat.
Ben wanted to try the chopsticks. He devised a way to eat his crab rangoon without getting too dirty. This was so funny to watch. This place was small enough and empty, we could let the kids get a little crazy. The workers had their kids at a table in the back. This is was a very informal place.

Little Hunter Joe tried to Miso Soup, too. He was apprehensive at first, but turned out liking it.
Here he';s evaluating the taste...
Acknowledging it's different...
See, this is his "gimme more" face.
Happiness.
Below is a photo of the restaurant: A little hole in a very old wall. Yum!
Whitewater had some interesting old buildings. Love small midwestern towns.
We parked by a great big wall mural. Rhet Crit with Karen Rasmussen anyone?
It may be awhile before I wipe the grin off my face.

No comments: