Thursday, March 22, 2007

Good Luck Girl?

I have very good luck. Most of the time. Lately, I wonder. Last night I was feeling cool, like I could do anything. I had all this energy. I wanted to impress myself & Theo (who's at Reserves) and get TONS done around here in his absence. At least once a month I get *like this.*

Midway through reorganzing our living room shelves, and moving some small furniture, I started with one of 5 loads of laundry I intended to do. Seemingly innocent multi-tasking, right? I have not yet blogged about basement water issues, but we've sure been having them. Our home is 114 years old, it comes with the territory. The last two weeks we've had water coming down a basement wall in a slow, nearly constant trickle. We played "who has the best guess:" Pipes? Snow melt? Roof leak? Possibilities were endless. Turns out to be pipes. Theo gets the appropriate "stuff" and repairs. But, not before we ShopVac for two weeks straight.

During the pipe repair Theo Vac'd up some nasty gunk. He emptied the Vac into the basement utility sink. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the gunk would clog that drain, too. Well, neither Theo and I figured it out in time. We were sitting chatting one evening when we heard a huge crash in the basement. Theo was laundering his uniforms and utility sink had filled up and tipped, spilling an inch of water in every direction.

Covered once more in the gunky water, Theo Vac'd it all up. Where did he put the water? Back in the sink. Swear to the Lord Theo and I are very smart folks, we just sometimes do silly things.

Last night I wandered down into the basement to switch my 1st load and found a full sink. I call Theo, and ask his advice, and as I chat I grab a broom stick and jab the sink's drain to clear it. It worked, and the water began flowing down... BUT, the floor drain was clogged. Seconds later I was standing in an inch of the laundry water. Smartest lady in the world. I grab the ShopVac. Get to work. Shop Vac fills up. Water keeps coming. No where to empty the ShopVac. I can't lift the thing (weighs a TON), so I have to trudge dozens of buckets of icky water up the basement steps and out the side door, into the rain. I was soaked to the bone, and beside myself with frustration.

My laundry is on pause. Heading for Drain-O today. Bewildered. Learning things most wives don't have to. Guess that's good. How do I get myself into these things? It's not my good luck. But my shelves look better.

Oh, and Theo enjoyed a basketball game and date-night movie last night with his buddy, Babcock. His unit arrives up there today, so he might actually have to work. I'm laughing on the inside. Okay, I'm laughing outloud.

No comments: