Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The Eve Before Halloween

Last night we carved 2 pumpkins. The boys are not able to handle knives yet, so Dad digs the goo, the boys watch, get their hands dirty, and then the pumpkins are passed on to mom for carving. I usually make some pretty elaborate pumpkins; in the past I've done haunted houses with wires and bats flying overhead, cats silouettes, and I've added gourds like Martha Stewart to create ears and such to the pumpkins. This year, I went back to the basic scary faces... Halloween snuck up on me... I'm seriously contemplating funkins faux pumpkins next year, so I can do an elaborate job, and have them forever.

Each year, without complaining, Theo scrapes the innerds right out of the jack-o-lantern's for me.



Of course, Hunter assumes the pumpkin guts are edible.


Let's take this stuff outdoors! I stayed outside until 10 last night decorating. I moved the black birds to my bird feeders and bird bath and made them visible with candles in some jars I painted orange and yellow years ago. I put plastic spiders crawling all over the doors and pumpkins, and mice crawling on the house. I freehanded some bats, ghost and spiders on big black cardstock, and put them in the windows, and set the lights just right. The bats looks awesome, if I do say so myself. Pictures to come tomorrow, as the camera was dead when I was finished last night. I was adding strands ghost lights, and even putting glass jars crawling with spiders in the garden. I have a spooky-sounds CD, a feathery witch hat, & cat "mink." It's all too much, and it is tacky, but I'm a nerd, and it's fun. I am the OG Whitetrash Martha. Last night, just I was packing up shop, a cat walked by, and when one of my headstones began screaching at it, the cat pauses and assesses the situation... when he sees the demon in the tree, he runs like hell. If it scares an outdoor cat, it's sure to scare the kiddies.






Happy Haunting everyone.

No comments: