Thursday, August 2, 2007

Shooting Trap

The boys took some time practicing with guns while we visited the relatives in Chicago. I will preface this by saying we're a hunting family. We like guns, and guns rights. These are not pictures of a bunch of idiots with guns, but rather pictures of men who respect weapons, and weapon laws, and weapon safety.

So, Theo plans to hunt various things this season, including, if I'm not mistaken, goose, deer, and turkey; he needed to practice. Jason had never shot a gun before, and we figured it was time he learn--he comes from a long line of men who hunt and shoot.


For those of you who are as in the dark about guns as I am, the event went something like this: they picked up some clay things from the hunting store. Each guy took turns tossing the clay thing in the air, and the other guy shot at it. It's supposed to mimic what it's like to hunt pheasant or other birds, who hide in the brush and fly up when the dogs "kick them up." I was so fascinated watching the men in my family shoot. Uncle Tom was good, of course. Dave was a little rusty, but still very good. Theo has a great shot, so impressive. And Jason! Holy cow, after about 3 attempts he was hitting them all. I couldn't believe how natural it came to him. Amazing.



Theo is holding several of those small clay discs here:
This is my favorite shot from the event:

No comments: