Tuesday, August 28, 2007

August at the Rotary Gardens

Last weekend we finally had a sunny day. Our local gym is closed on Snuday so we headed outside to get some excercise. I thought to walk in Janesville, on some trails... but then I remembered we could go to the Rotary Gardens. It's been awhile...

What an entrance! When we walked up I could not draw myself away from this spectacular display of color, deep plums, cheery reds, splashes of green and bolts of chartruese. Incredible.




I think this is cockscomb (sp?), however it was one of the few plants left unlabeled.
Caladium, Hosta, and New Guinea Impatiens:
I'm searching for more shade colors, and a blue hostas is on the spring list... here is a nice one with some coleus and impatiens.



Coleus, and ?:



Some type of giant burgandy amaranth, hellenium, begonias, more...


Coleus spills over, backed by a dark red grass or corn? I can't remember what it's called.


A zinnia. Love this zinnia.



I'm on the hunt for yellowish hostas, and this one caught my eye. I have about 15 more pictures of other varieties, too, but I won't totally bore you.
I think this obelisk is surrounded by spider lilies? More of that corn/grass like stuff. So pretty.


Impatiens, "molten lava" oxalis, and perhaps a coleus in the middle... whatever it is, I'm on the way to finding it and putting it in my garden soon.


Wine and lime shaded oxalis with a number of other goodies...





Hydrangea, Hosta, coleus, more...

This garden provides me with so much serenity. Walking through, looking closely at names, admiring contrasts, wondering about the choices the gardeners made, imagining them digging in the dirt, planting for us to see and enjoy, intensely satisfies me.

It's my not-so-secret dream to have a bed at a public garden someday. Maybe have my own whole public garden. Maybe own a nursery? I'm not talented enough yet, but given more time, like when I'm an empty-nester, and more knowledge, like when I get to be a certified Master Gardener, and more money, like after I win the lottery, this dream can come true.

No comments: