Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Garden Bounty

Late last night I went out to pick what I could out of the garden... here are all of the tomatos that were ready this week. There's Bush Early Girl, Italian, and Roma...
Plus about a million cherry tomatos, some sweet, some not. I already gave away a ziplock bag's worth and a handful to neighbors...

Some Green Beans:

Super Chilis (our neighbor has been giving us these, too... but these are from our garden; for some reason our plants took longer to produce).

Banana Peppers:

I have not narrowed down what I'll do with all this yet. I'm thinking chili and salsa. I need some jalapenos. I made the mistake of only planting one jalapeno plant this year and it's just now starting to bloom. One year I planted 4 plants, and we ate every one we harvested, so next year I may do 4-6 jalapeno plants--we like em'.

I've been eating my cucumbers everyday with lunch, so no pictures to share. I'm getting about 2 a week from my one bush plant. Last year grew a vine, and had way too many I was giving them away constantly. This bush is a good pace. If I start making pickles next year I'll put in more plants. Theo loves pickles.

I have poblano peppers, green sweet peppers, and an eggplant coming soon. I love gardening so much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

okay, this is a post after my own heart! You could totally make salsa and chili with just the peppers you have!

Also, have you considered canning? It is really not that hard, you just need a large deep pot, jars and lids, and water. Your local hardware store is bound to have that. Then you can make spaghetti sauce and salsa and have it all winter long! Or, just make a bunch and freeze them. I can send you recipes if you need them.

So jealous, by the way. I want to plant a garden I can eat!