Thursday, August 9, 2007

Goings On

So this morning Theo woke me up at 6:05, and asked if I wanted to sleep a little longer. Duh. By the time he came back at 6:30 I dreamt that I won a chance to marry Tim McGraw while attending the Emmy awards. We married, had 3 kids, and realized we were all wrong for each other. I was then with Theo and we had Ben and Hunter. I went back to Tim and asked him for my kids. He and Faith were like, "Here you go..." tossing the kids in our direction with all their high-class clothes and strollers, no questions asked. I was so sad I had ever let him take the kids in the first place. In this dream, time made no sense, as Ben and Hunter were their current ages, and my kids with Tim were also Ben and Hunter's ages, and the youngest 2 months old. So Theo and I had 5 kids in this house. I told Tim it would be rough having all the kids in this small space, but I couldn't be without my kids anymore. Wild dream, huh? It's rooted in Theo's thinking that I think Tim McGraw is hot (I do, but I think Josh Turner is hotter). I have also been discussing the option of having child number 3 soon, perhaps after our trip to California we'll start trying (perfect b/c no summer pregnancy again for me, thank you).

On the other hand, last night Theo dreamt he won 7.2 million dollars and finally had all the toys he wants: a fishing boat, new truck, 4-wheeler, etc. I insisted we stay in this house and remodel it. I can ensure you that would never happen in real life. I guess we both had a pretty good night's sleep.

Lots of very uneventful everyday wonderful things going on around our house:

I decided the other night that I finally proved to myself that I could indeed still grow out my hair. I had some rough patches during pregnancy and nursing over the last three years where my hair would thin rapidly. I was worried I would be unable to grow it out ever again. I began growing it out when Theo was in Iraq. It's now been well over a year, and my hair was again long... I decided I had enough. I had it up everyday in some nasty ponytail, or tucked in ridiclous braids or hat anyway. A wise and beautiful woman named Gina Post once told me to never let my hair get beyond my shoulders again. She's right, I look much better with shorter hair. Two nights ago I chopped it off. Yes, I cut my own hair again. I feel great. I may go even shorter again soon. We'll see.




I've also been in this creative mood lately. I get these creative urges where I just have to do something with myself. Right now, I'm working on several things at once. Anything to keep my mind off the horrible cramps I have! Argh.

I developed pictures for the first time since November! I have printed a few at home here and there, but this is the first time in ages I've had a glorious stack of new pictures to scrapbook. Given how much Theo works in the next 2 weeks, I'm so excited to get scrapping. I spent an hour yesterday matching the pictures with patterned paper. These photos are from Christmas, January and a little February.


In the garden I've decided to take my roses more seriously. I want spectacular roses. I know I have to work for it, though, especially in my zone (5). I now have a good selection of roses that do well in my cold climate. I have moved many of the plants around the roses. I have tried to keep things too close, and it's sacrificing the roses' health. I moved quite a few perrenials that used to mingle with the roses over to the perennial border, and I have a few more to go. Already last night I saw new growth on the roses. Soon, I'll be buying more bone meal to feed them.
I have also been working on the perennial border out back. Gardening definately fulfills my creative whims as much as crafting does. Alison will be so proud of me, I created and used my own compost! I started my pile about a year ago. I don't keep it in a container, I just have a big ugly pile behind the shed. I rotate it and add water in dry spells. I've started to frame it with hostas and lilies to make it less unappealing Two nights ago I dug to the bottom of the pile and found soil. Dark brown rich moist soil. So pleased! I used it in my perennial border as I transplanted a few more things.
I have been trying to make sure the border is pleasing through all three growing seasons, and contains color combinations that maximize the beauty of each plant. I took out a set of old colored pencils and began sketching. It's fun to draw it all out. And, when I feel like I NEED to garden, and I can't quite get outside b/c it's raining or both kids are awake, I can throw on a Barney movie and draw pictures and take notes in my sketch pad. I have sketched the garden before, loosely and without color, and found the charts enabled me to figure out which varieties of flowers I put where--very useful after a particularly bad winter. These aren't works of art, just sloppy sketches. Just play.
I'm loving this lightly shaded garden right now, and using it to enhance the two more shaded ends of my border. If only I had a million dollars: I get a Japanese Maple, big blue leaved hostas, peonies galore, and more... (oh, and a big cornflower blue house in the woods). I already started my fall wishlist, including allium bulbs and a red leaf barberry bush to put next to my $2 golden privet. I'm longing for contrast.
Hunter has had a rough go the last few days. Ben is really struggling with sharing. He's at an age where independance is key, and property is really important. He's been more agressive towards Hunter. He throws things and pushes mostly. Yesterday he chucked one of the heavier Thomas engines, Salty, in Hunter's direction, and it cut Hunter's head. Not fun to have blood in your one year old's hair. Ben was dumbfounded, his mouth dropped open in worry at what he had done to his brother. Hunter was over it, and begging to play minutes later. I had to hold a towel as pressure to stop the bleeding, and Hunter did not want to hold still for that at all! Having boys is making me very tough. Very.
And on the potty-training front we've made significant progress. Yesterday I did not set the oven timer. Instead Ben started telling me himself when he has to pee. So cool. He sometimes thinks he's already peed in his underpants when they are still dry. Even he is surprised by how good he's doing.
This is his reflection in the mirror has he's washing his hands after a successful trip to the potty.
Just one final note. I know this post makes it look like my life is brimming with free time. I find it amusing that during the time I composed this post I went with Ben for 3 potty trips, changed the Barney movie once, I filled up their snack bowls with grapes, apples, and baked cheese crackers, chatted with Caitlin on the phone, comforted Hunter when Ben smashed two of his fingers in the DVD drawer, let Laura out, went potty myself, and ate some chocolate. Duh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the hair cut!:) Looks beautiful