Thursday, February 15, 2007

Theo's in the hospital...

So Sunday we picked up a new free refridgerator for Theo to store sodas and such in. Found it on craiglist. We went shopping, and picked it up. Theo wheeled it through the snow to the truck, and then I helped him get it in the bed of the truck. He tied it up, and we headed home. When we got home I went to feed Hunter dinner, and put away a few things. Theo called the neighbor to help him get the fridge in the basement before the pending snow arrived. Theo climbed in the bed of the truck, and slipped in there first, hitting is butt, and then falling to the road on his stomach (arms out in front of him). He shook that fall off, and then stood again to move the fridge further. He fell again, towards his back that time. He got up, and left the neighbor holding the other half of the fridge. He walked through the kitchen where I was feeding Hunter. He said "Jamie, I just fell really good out there." I looked at him, and he had some snow on him, but he seemed fine. It sounded like he was saying, "I had a bad fall I'll tell you about later, I'm going to get something..." In other words, he didn't sound hurt, and it didn't seem serious. He went in the living room. I heard a fall, and 20 second later it registered I shouldn't have heard a noise that big in the house. I found Theo on the floor, not conscious, but breathing barely through a very swollen tongue. He was limp all over. Moaning. But he could not see me, not respond. I was horrified. I found the neighbor, Jason, holding the fridge, dialed 911, and followed the operators instructions (through my screaming, of course).

The local ambulance called another town's ambuance for help. The ambulance crew's had to intubate him, and sedate him heavily. He was placed on oxygen, too. He was combative. He went on to have one seizure in the ambulance, and one more in the ER.

He has been given many tests, and none of them have conclusive results yet. We're told it will more than likely come back as a viral infection in the brain that caused the seizures. So the falls didn't cause the seizures, but more like the impending seizure caused his falls. He recalls picking up the fridge and a little of the drive home. That's it. We'll keep everyone posted. I used this forum to inform those of you who don't already know b/c it's the easiest for me. We don't know when he'll be home. My mom is with him now. I'm headed back soon. He's doing so much better now.

No comments: