Thursday, July 12, 2007

Strange Kid

My friend Sarah commented that he son put all his Little People in the silo of the Little People Barn; she asked if my kids did similar creepy things. Sarah, you have no idea!

As I type, Hunter is gently pulling clumps of hair from the cat and trying to attach them to my bare leg. No joke. Ben's really into filling containers, he's stored his little people and mega block people in both his lunchbox (eww) & dump truck. Yesterday he loaded his Sesame St. figurines into his trash truck, into the trash area, not the driver's seat. And, yes, he has a toy trash truck he specifically requested Grandma buy him. Both boys love to push their wagons and dump trucks into my ankles at full speed, apparently that's hilarious. They both make growling sounds Theo refers to as "devil sounds." Ben's really into lining things up in straight lines, anything from soda can at Me-Maw's house to trucks in his clubhouse, and I find this oddly OCD. He's also into hoarding and categorizing things. Hunter has already learned to open the brioler beneath our oven, and he puts his toys in there! He also uses baskets all the way from the living room to try and climb on top of the stove. Yesterday, Ben hit me with a spoon and ran away giggling. Ben sleeps with about 15 small stuffed animals and large doll I've had since I was a little girl. He's carried the tattered "Ghung" blanket for over a year now, and he sucks his thumb. Hunter can't stand upright chairs, and knocks them down hard and fast with a huge thud, that scares me every time. Ben tries to bury Hunter under blankets and pillows daily, and yesterday he started throwing his Elmo chair at Hunter's head. Hunter bites. Hard. I'm lucky to make it through a day without broken skin. They both try and ride the dog like a horse, Ben adds, "Giddy Up, Waura!" to his movements. This morning Ben sat right on the cat's back in the middle of the kitchen floor. No biggie. The cat just laid there looking at him. Right now Hunter is spitting on the cat. Toby's wincing, but not running away.
So, yeah, my kids are little looney. I'm okay with it. When they cross the line (see above) I try and put them in their place. When their just plain weird, I laugh.
Here is Hunter playing outside yesterday. I try and take them outside while the other naps. Great-Grandma Chris bought Hunter these overalls for his birthday; I love them!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I was their age, my mother claims I used to beat up my older brother for attention by throwing things at him, and when he would throw things back, I would cry and get Mom to yell at him. I do believe once, I stabbed him with a fork, and he has never let me forget that.
Oh, and I used to get my mom's attention by sneaking up behind her in the kitchen and biting her ass. Yup, her ass.
Your kids are not weird :) We all are.