Wednesday, January 31, 2007

When you're lucky...



***These are not pictures of our home, they are from the Broyhill Website***
I feel like luck is on our side right now.
We've been hoping and wishing for a nice durable dining table for years now. We have boys. And we are not small people. And, we will move wherever the military tells us to every five years for the next 20 plus years. We need something that will last. Really endure. Through magazines, and the internet I located the Broyhill Attic Heirlooms collection. In 2003, when this line of furniture came out, I located the closest retailer to us in California. Theo and I drove over an hour to Pasadena so I could just see the goods in person. A single chair was $350.00. No way. It wasn't ever going to happen. I dropped the idea completely and quietly drooled when I saw pictures in mags. I liked the texture of the furniture. I liked how rustic it was, and yet so durable. All the qualities of a great family antique with the durability I required.
We currently use a table made by a member of my dad's family, I think my great-grandfather. It's been in our kitchen since we met. It collapsed right beside Ben was he was 1; he has climbed on top of it and broken it more than once now. Ben has broken a dresser, and an entertainment center, too. He is a very destructive young man.
Today, I can proudly say the boy's have Attic Heirloom's dressers, and we have an armoire from the Master Bedroom set housing the television in our living room. We are not wealthy, we bought them at 60% off from a great little local furniture shop here in Wisconsin with Theo's re-enlistment bonus.
But just over a week I brought Theo into this shop. Tax time is coming. We need a table. The store had a huge 50% off sale. This stuff ain't cheap. Full price my dream table would have cost about 2,800 or more. Yeah. I can dream can't I. Even on sale, we were not getting this table, and definately not getting the chairs... .
But angels are among us.
GUESS WHAT I FOUND AND BOUGHT ON CRAIGSLIST TONIGHT? For $500.
Yup. The table (which extends to 9 feet!). 4 chairs, and a seating bench. In the exact finish I would have chosen. the items were listed on Monday, the week we get our tax return. What are the odds? Somebody pinch me. I got the phone call confirming that on Friday morning these beautiful pieces of furniture will be coming to our home. Yikes. I am so excited! Can you believe my luck? Pictures of these pieces in our home to come, once it's all put away.

No comments: