Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Look, Grandma, I Dyed My Hair!

As a child I had carrot-orangish-blond curls, but the older I got, the more brown my hair became. Outside of a few stints with sun-in in high school, and some bleach blond high lights in college, I've never altered my hair color. I had the highlights permanently erased by a salon before I was married. I walked in, and said, please bring back my natural color so accurately that I can't see my roots come in. They did a fab job, and I never looked back.
In came the gray. Slowly at first, then in clumps. I embraced it. It didn't bother me one bit. It became the topic of conversation with my husband quite often. After all, he's 28, and I'm only 2 1/2 years older than him. Does a 28 year old man want a 300-lb-gray-haired woman? Surprisingly, mine does. He's a saint, and apparently pretty in love with Me, not my hair or body.
It was me who decided giving some hair dye a try would be fun, a way to express myself, and play around with my appearance. It might even make me feel beautiful enough to stick to this weight loss plan once and for all? I also thought, life is short, and hair is just hair. This is the same me contemplating some neatly-placed tattoos of things like owls to symbolize my education, clematis and rose flowers from my actual garden, and possibly something to tribute my kids in the future. I guess life and age bring changes.
Now, unlike me hair, my eye color hasn't changed one bit my whole life. My eyes are a great olive green. Quite unique, actually. I have never met anyone with my eye color. I don't mean to boast, but I do rather love my eyes. I feel they have been dull and unseen behind my flat mid-brown hair color most of my life. I mean, think about it. Did you know I had green eyes? Nope.
So, altering my hair color would be one way I could bring out these eyes. I may not be the type to wear make-up everyday (more like 2-3 times a month, to church and holidays), but I did spend some time in my pre-teen years (and summer as a assistant manager at The Body Shop) learning about make-up colors. I recall, red hair brings out green eyes, and purple make-up does the trick even more.
So here we have it:



The current new me. What do you think, Grandma?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is the first time I've read this blog, but I love the hair color!