Sunday, August 15, 2010

Check. Check.

Just updating, I accomplished #14 and #18 on the Summer To-Do List.

14. Learn to sun dry my homegrown tomatoes.

Turns out sun drying can take up to two weeks, and you have to bring them in every night so the dew/rain doesn't reverse the drying. Yeah, that ain't gonna happen. So, instead, I oven dried two cookie sheets worth of roma and cherry tomatoes. And it was so simple! I cut the roma's in 4, and cherry's in 2, and layed them on wax paper on a cookie sheet. Topped them with a sprinkle of sea salt and set them in the oven at 150 degrees. 6-7 hours later, pulled them out and put them in a ziploc bag. Done.
Going to try it again with some small, sweet yellow heirlooms, too.

18. Learn to can.

I have feared this process for years. I have never watched anyone can. I didn't grow up with a parent or aunt or grandma who did this. I was absolutely paranoid I would mess it up, and tasks that require precise timing cause me intense anxiety. As I was filling the jars I was physically shaking with nerves and felt like I would vomit. But, I did it! I hope I didn't mess it up. Despite the nerves, I enjoyed it, and plan on doing it again. I know as the process becomes more familiar to me, I will be less nervous.

Can't wait to knock a few more off the list!
Happy summer.

1 comment:

leena! said...

Yay, you canned! What recipes did you use? I hope it turns out well!!