Monday, April 4, 2011

A teachable moment.

All afternoon I was very frustrated with Hunter Joe. He simply was not listening to me. He left trash on the living room floor, and I had to ask him to pick up something else 3-4 times. He talked back to me pretty intently, and I had my last straw- I sent him upstairs to give me some air. He drew me a picture, and wrote some awesome words. He brought it downstairs, and I praised it accordingly, and thanked him. He then got in trouble one more time, turned right around and ripped up picture he had just made me, and stomped up the stairs. I let him know it hurt my feelings. He remade the picture and brought it downstairs to apologize, and Ben followed him with his own two cents: Ben wrote a note with a peace offering, "I wish we there was a time we could all just play together." So cute. I told him maybe if we had time left in the day after they took a bath, and I showered, we would. He climbed in the tub and looked up at me and said, "Mommy, can't you just take a quick shower, so we have time to play?" I explained, "Mommy's a lady, and we rarely take short showers. We take longer. I have all my hair to wash and everything... " He cut me off, "Maybe if you were a little bit thinner... you could save just a little bit of time." Wow. Poor kid. He doesn't know any better. But what a day to say that to me, right? I took a deep breath, and thought about what to say. I knelt down, and I told him it was not okay to ever make a comment about a women's body size. I added, "Everybodys' body is different. My body is beautiful just the way it is. My belly grew two perfect babies. Daddy loves my body just the way it is, too. You should never tell a woman that she is too big or thin. Ever. Okay?" He nodded, and looked at me a little crazy.

No comments: