Thursday, March 10, 2011

A new hobby, like I need more of those...

So, I started making jewelry because I can't find anything I can wear out there. I'm a tough case- I get those irritating rashes from anything metal that's not gold, and I don't like to wear boring old gold everyday. So, I need to have either suede lace, hemp, string, or beads on the part of the necklace that will touch my skin. Top that with my picky tastes and stubborn unwillingness to pay full price for anything, and you have a challenge.

I've been looking for a necklace with red in it for 2 years now... and I've been wanting to acquire something with an owl charm that isn't going to turn me green or make look like I'm wearing a 12 year old's necklace. Enough trips to the clearance racks in EVERY store I go to, and I finally gave up, grabbed my coupons and headed to Joanns. I had the jewelry tool, and I bought a beginners kit of parts and beads years ago to make repairs on some existing jewelry I already had. Plus, after a recent repair, I had some suede rope left. All I needed were some more beads.

Ta-da! My first original piece of jewelry!

You know I never do anything in moderation, right? Here are the 2nd, third, and 4th pieces of jewelry I made. Hobby Lobby had a huge sale on some great beads (50% off!) and I found some long beaded necklaces on clearance for $1 at Walmart, so I had to.







So far, these are for me... but don't be surprised if some end in the Etsy shop soon.
This is too much fun!

No comments: