Monday, February 21, 2011

Upcycled PIllow

Remember that 40 lbs I lost last year? Well, I got rid of a all my huge clothes, but had trouble parting with this massive, soft, and barely worn brown sweater dress. I paired it with a boring old oversized pillow in need of an update, and ta-da: and upcycled sweater pillow. Perfection.



Making this pillow wasn't as easy as I had hoped. I thought cutting the knit fabric would cause it to unravel, so I turned it inside out, pinned and kept it in place, and sewed it by hand a little more than 3/4 of the way. Then, I removed the pillow, flipped the sweater right side out, cut the excess pieces off- including the still-attached neckline and short sleeves, and pulled it back over the pillow. I pinned the opening to a nice folded seem, and sewed it shut, again by hand. I finished it in one evening, and I love how it turned out. Very durable, and cozy as can be.


I also made 3 other pillows the same week- all reusing pillow forms we already had in our house. I find this process to be very budget friendly- I wash them in hot water with bleach and dry them a few times, and they seem good as new, give or take a little lop-sidedness. I have been rounding up discount fabrics all around for about a year now. I am trying to build around a dark red vintage-style rose patterned fabric I plan on making into curtains at our new homes. I have something 10-12 yards of it waiting in the wings- I found it for $3-4 a yard and about died. Finding additional, similar or matching fabrics in stripes or other rose or paisley prints has been a great fun task. As usual anything brown goes, too.

The super soft brown pillow in the top left hand corner was a clearance fabric at $5 a yard, and I only needed about 2/3 of a yard. The other left hander, the yellow paisley, was also on clearance. The bottom right was not on clearance, but it was on sale for 1/2 off! I love the pink in the stripes, coordinates perfectly with a velvety pink abric I have saved for my wicker chair cushion at the next house. I've gone with pink long enough- these boys are going have to deal with me easing pink back into my home little by little.



I still have 6 more pillows to make...

Promising pictures as they get made.

Also, this is the only picture I have taken of Ben's lost tooth so far. Great pictures of pillows, not so great pictures of the kid's tooth- you see where my priorities lie. Haha.


Also promising much better pictures of the toof later.

No comments: